Last night was the commencement of the world cup and yep, you guessed it, France was Folle for le foot. My classmates and I went to a little place called St. James's Pub in Vieux Lyon where we, along with many others, viewed the France vs. Uruguay match. The game ended up being zero-zero, but don't be sad, the night was still exciting. The pub was filled with screaming French men and it was Claire's birthday (Joyeux Anniveraire Claire!) French men in pubs love birthdays, besides there is something charming and magical about hearing a whole crowd of people yell at a TV---In a French accent. I'd say the French unison yell is more refined than the American unison yell, but that's just y personal opinion.
After the game was over we hit the streets. It was raining so there were lots of umbrellas, and even more kissing than usual. The rain-cup du monde combo really got the people of Lyon going.
Next we wondered doen the street to a Kebob restaurant, the closest thing to fast food (besides McDonald's) that France has. Think of the Kebob shops in Lyon as the used to be Munchies of Kansas City. Open all night.
After all of that exciting it was time to gather myself and head back home. I couldn't miss the 11:40 bus to my house, otherwise I'd be spending the night in the pub.
Successful first European World Cup celebration for me!




This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI've enjoyed reading your many french adventures, but this one stuck out a touch more simply because of the World Cup.
ReplyDeleteI'm jealous that you're able to see the full passion of European futbol, because it's something I think I understand, but it's only through media.
I'd love more posts on this subject as France continues throughout the cup.
I hope all is well... : )
besides people watch...what do you do at a pub jen?
ReplyDeletethat is weird. i wish mwiegs would stop using my laptop that that i could post comments and correctly identify who typed them.
ReplyDeletelove you,
ELIZXXABETH
Oliver, I wish you could be here to experience the world cup, it really is a whole different experience here because people are so dedicate to the game. Everyone gets excited.
ReplyDeleteAnd Mal/Liz I hit on the bartender and receive free drinks. I didn't want to make it public but since you asked...
Haley wanted me to inform you that she is an avid reader of your blog. But it seems that she can't figure out the comment box. Either way- I am so jealous that you are in Europe for the World Cup. The games start very early in the morning here so often I hear Crissy up at 7am screaming at the television.
ReplyDeleteAnd also, remember when we skyped about "day drinking"? Well until the end of the World Cup, there is a phenomenon sweeping Columbia called "morning drinking". I'm not kidding, on Saturday the bars opened at 8am.
RIP Munchies. I will never forget your mac and cheese.