Other Jen and I decided to embark on a search for an open air produce market on the East side of town. I am not sorry to say that we never made it to the east side of town because the things we stumbled into on our pursuit to the East side were much better than the produce markets that I see everyday in Lyon.
1. 10 Block long Flea Market


Our day started as we got of the Metro at Saxe Gambetta to make a transfer to a Tram. We ditched the idea of the transfer and enjoyed over ten blocks of flea market fun up and down both sides of the street. I found so many weird and wonderful things. If only I didn't have to transfer them back to the states, I probably would have bought them all. Amongst my top finds were THREE TELETUBBIES. I gound, Tinky, LaaLaa and Dipsy. Poe was the only one lacking from the bunch. I will fill you in on an interesting facts- French teletubbies make the same noises- their voices are not dubbed over- BUT their eyes blink! It is awesomely creepy. If they didn't take up so much room in my luggage I would have brought the dogs back a souvenir.
2. My Family Name
After the Frenzy at the Flea Market it was 2pm and Jen and I were starving. Unfortunately since it was after the lunch hour and the streets were so crowded, all of the boulangeries were picked over. So Jen and I hopped back on the metro and got off at another stop which happened to be equally as crowded. There was an antique show, mimes on the street, a wedding at the Cathedral (sorry I did not get photos of these things, there were too many pickpocketers on the loose) and people working in teams to pick pocket tourists like myself. Our hunt for food was unsuccessful but I did find this place called Fleming's, a little taste of home I suppose. We did not eat there, but have no fear, a few minutes later I ate my first Croque Monsieur in france, Mmm.
3. Book Sale on the River

After lunch we set out toward the river where we found this time five or six blocks of books- all for inly 1-5 Euros. I felt so so happy and so sad all at once because I knew that I couldn't take the home with me. But hey, shout out to Kansas because I found In Cold Blood!
4. Musee des Beaux arts
We followed the yellow brick road of books and were soon greeted by the big art museum of Lyon--happy day. I am always up for a good romp through a museum, especially art museums. My spirits we high and just when I thought my day could not get any more exciting, when I exited the museum through the courtyard I stumbled upon this...
5. Gay Pride: Lyon style
The parade was absolutely massive and Jen and I enjoyed dancing in the streets of downtown Lyon as bubbles were spewed through the air, music was played cheerfully, and flags were flown proudly. It was the perfect timing indeed. As Jen and I walked out into the streets from the Museum the front of the parade had just made its way to the street we were on. It was meant to be I suppose.

It was a delight to take part in the Gay Pride festivities of Lyon, it's certainly a moment I will never forget!
6. Skants

You may think they're ugly but in France they're trendy! It is nearly impossible to find a plain dress or skirt in some stores that aren't actually pants. The French love their Pants that resemble skirts and they wear them like there's no tomorrow. The most commonly worn style are the long ones, but hey it's summer, and my legs want their freedom. I was also excited because I got them for ten Euros with a tag that told me they were ethically made in thailand. Hooray!
7. Banlieue
I thought my day couldn't be any more exciting. I was on the bus headed home, feeling good about my accomplishments, when I realized- I was on the wrong bus. And where was I headed? To a Banlieue--the outskirts of a city--the Ghetto. In France things are opposite of the USA. The nice upperclass live in the city and the very poor live around the outside of the city. When I realized I was in the French Ghetto I got off the bus. Was that the smartest move? No. But hey, it was an adventure. I walked for probably about a mile until I found a bus stop with the number 42 on it (the bus that i KNOW goes by my neighborhood) and I waited there for 35 minutes for the bus and enjoyed some quality people watching and thinking time. Again, no photos of this adventure I'm sorry to say, but I had already made enough stupid choices in the last two hours of my life and I didn't feel my camera would be a smart choice.
8. I returned home at half past 7 in the evening and SURPRISE!
There was a soiree at the Jouaret household. Lots of kids running freely,lots of cigarettes, and of course the USA-England soccer game. It was interesting watching the game with French commentators, especially since they were leaning on the side of England. As was my family, and all of the guests. But not I, I was team USA and I was proud to say that at least we did not lose...
It's a good thing I wasn't there at the flea market. I probably would have had to buy a bunch of stuff and mail it home. 3 Teletubbies???
ReplyDeleteDid you see any moon & stars?
Howdy Doody?
Also, I am glad you didn't run into any trouble in Banlieue. That must have been a similar "sinking feeling" much like Daniel had when he accidently stayed on the metro link in St. Louis and ended up on the other side of the river in Illinois.
Mom I didn't see moon and stars or howdy although they did have some really neat glasses like the little ones we occasionally like to buy only rhey were French! I really wanted to buy them but I had nowhere to keep them and was afraid they'd break. Also you can think of my wrong bus ride to the banlieue as being much like crossing into East St. Louis--Great analogy.
ReplyDeleteI don't know why, but for some reason I really want to know what the French ghetto looks like/what the people are like who live there. I also imagine West Side Story in my mind, or Oliver. (The play, not the man). I think that you should pay for those teletubbies to get back home. For some reason I feel like Zoe would respect/be attracted to french Lala.
ReplyDeleteAlso- I REALLY like the skirt pants. Lets try to make this happen when I come to Lyon in some near/far/not so distant future.
Today was MidMo Pride in Peace Park- you would have been right at home there. I went with Haley and bought some earrings and a bracelet from a women who makes native american jewelry, signed an anti-taser ballot initiative, petted some dogs and babies, saw several members of my rec softball team, and received a free bag from the Baptist Church. Porquoi Pas?
There was one guy at Willie's who was cheering for England when we watched the world cup game and whenever he got out of his chair everyone would point and boo. It's best not to mess with morning drinker futbol fans. However, it was pouring rain and so the satellite signal kept going out and everybody was getting very irritated. Then I had to go to work. A young William Jewel couple came to have a quaint wedding at the winery and had a slideshow of pictures of them with dead deer.
Ca va bien!
Also- good female groping picture. You truly disturb me/make me proud.
ReplyDeletei can not believe that you experienced all of that in a single day. and your skants a genius. you can look like a lady yet not have to act ladylike with no chance of one seeing your undies/or lack of undies.
ReplyDeleteEli I thought of you a lot. You would love the fashion trends in France. They also have these full body rompers and I want one real bad. You would love them. All other Americans make fun while I admire.
ReplyDeleteKimmy-you would have loved the pride parade here, it was festive and there were lots of bubbles and fountain swimming etc. Lots of fun. Also interesting to see the differences between France and MO. It's a really important/big parade for France. My host family said in Paris the celebration is massive.
So proud of you for supporting team USA!
ReplyDeleteTwo questions
ReplyDelete1. Can guys wear skants too?
2. If so, could you bring me a pair?